I was at a bar in the Poconos a few weeks ago.
Someone actually picked Creed followed by NICKELBACK on the jukebox in succession.
My friends and I were in the midst of a drinking game, where at the end of each round, someone “lost” and had to accept whatever punishment the group had laid out prior to the round, i.e. chug a beer, do a nasty shot, etc.
My suggested punishment, aimed more toward the asshole who commandeered the jukebox before us than anyone at the table:
Go up to the jukebox, and select any song by Bette Midler.
Deal with that, fuckers.
The jukebox is a major responsibility. Don’t poison the environment. The mood of the entire room can rest on your decision. Blow it, and this is what you get for playing shit. Note it well, ‘cause I’ll do it every time. That’s a promise, not a threat.
Bonus: Google “worst band in the world”
Double Bonus: When I told The Lady this story, I couldn’t remember Nickelback’s name, so I just said “Creed and…what’s that other awful band?” and she immediately responded “Nickelback.” I’m so in love.
“OK, here are the rules. Test your memory and your love of live music by listing 50 artists or bands (or as many as you can remember) you’ve seen in concert. List the first 50 acts that come into your head. An act you saw at a festival and opening acts count, but only if you can’t think of 50 other artists. Oh, and list the first concert you ever saw (you can remember that, can’t you)?
Should you choose this challenge, here’s what you do:
First few in chronological order. The rest as memory permits.”
First few…I think:
1. Bruce Springsteen, Brendan Byrne Arena, NJ…circa ‘Born In The USA,’ I believe…Multiple times since in NOLA/NJ/NYC.
2. Dirty Dancing Concert Tour, Jones Beach, NY…damn straight in 1988. This actually happened. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095021/
3. Whitney Houston, Brendan Byrne Arena, NJ…went with the familiy when I was 7, I think.
And now in no particular order:
4. The Roots, multiple times in NJ/NYC
5. Jane’s Addiction, w/NIN, PNC Bank Arts Center, NJ
6. The Black Crowes, multiple times in NY/NOLA
7. The Cure, MSG, NYC
8. Dave Matthews & Friends/Dave Matthews Band/Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds…too many to mention, all over U.S.
9. Guns ‘N Roses, MSG, NYC (Axl et al)
10. LL Cool J, Radio City Music Hall, NYC
11. Elton John/Billy Joel, National Car Rental Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL…Seen Billy Joel elsewhere a time or two, as well
12. Blues Traveler, multiple times in NYC/NOLA
13. Phish, multiple times in NY/NOLA…Trey solo, as well.
14. Twilight Singers, Irving Plaza, NYC
15. Beck, multiple times in NY/NJ
16. Pearl Jam, multiple times around U.S. (6/24/08 @ MSG may be best show I’ve ever been to, hands down.)
17. My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Avalon, NYC
18. Nine Inch Nails, multiple times in NY/NJ
19. Marilyn Manson, Roseland Ballroom, NYC
20. moe., multiple times in NYC/NOLA
21. Guster, House of Blues, NOLA
22. Agents of Good Roots, multiple times in NYC/Philly/NOLA
23. Radiohead, multiple times in NYC
24. Bob Dylan, multiple times in NOLA/NJ…once at William Paterson College in Wayne with my dad
25. Roger Waters, MSG, NYC
26. Allman Brothers, multiple times in NJ/NYC
27. Damien Rice, Radio City Music Hall, NYC
28. Q-Tip, multiple times in NYC
29. Poison/Skid Row/Vince Neil, PNC Bank Arts Center, NJ
30. Live, Jones Beach, NY
31. Oasis, multiple times in NYC
32. Galactic, multiple times in NOLA
33. Stone Temple Pilots, PNC Bank Arts Center, NJ
34. The Bird and the Bee, The New School, NYC
35. Ben Harper, multiple times in NYC/NOLA
36. Billy Idol, Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
37. AC/DC, Izod Center, NJ
38. George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic, multiple times in NOLA/NYC
39. Van Halen, Continental Airlines Arena, NJ
40. Prince, Saenger Theater, NOLA…one of the best shows I’ve seen.
41. Paul McCartney, New Orleans Arena, NOLA
42. Blue Floyd, Tipitina’s, NOLA
43. Jon Cleary, multiple times in NOLA/NYC
44. Wilco, Jazz Fest, NOLA
45. Lenny Kravitz, multiple times in NOLA…man, does he suck live.
46. Counting Crows, multiple times in NYC/NOLA
47. Ellis Marsalis, many a night at Snug Harbor, NOLA…my favorite thing to do in the city.
48. Ratdog, Southern Comfort Fest, NOLA
49. Tool, Voodoo Fest, City Park, NOLA
50. Santana, multiple times in NOLA/NYC
51. Rusted Root, William Paterson College, Wayne, NJ
52. Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, multiple times in NY/NJ/PA/NOLA
53. David Byrne, multiple times in NYC
54. Slunt, multiple times @ Continental, NYC
55. BM LINX, multiple times in NYC
56. Tally Hall, multiple times in NYC
57. Infected Mushroom, Avalon, NYC
58. Too many amazing artists to name that I had the privilege of taking in while in New Orleans. Not another city in the world that can hold a candle in terms of music appreciation.
59. Peter Bjorn and John, Rockwood Music Hall, NYC, hours after they opened for Depeche Mode at Madison Square Garden. Rockwood is the size of my living room. Real, man, real.
60. KYLIE FUCKING MINOGUE. Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC, October 11, 2009.
61. Orgone, multiple times in NOLA/NYC- MY NEW FAVORITE. THEY WILL RENEW YOUR FAITH THAT THERE IS STILL REAL MUSIC BEING MADE TODAY. See: http://mbrosen.tumblr.com/tagged/orgone
62. Phoenix, MSG, NYC
63. Foo Fighters, Jazz Fest, NOLA
64. Soundgarden, Terminal 5, NYC
65. The Wallflowers, Bowery Ballroom, NYC
66. The Ting-Tings, Bowery Ballroom, NYC
67. Melody Gardot, HighLine Ballroom, NYC
68. Trombone Shorty, multiple times in NYC/NOLA
69. Kermit Ruffins, multiple times in NOLA/NYC
70. Big Sam’s Funky Nation, multiple times in NOLA
71. The Meatpuppets, Mercury Lounge, NYC
Shows I’d punt a litter of kittens into raw sewage to see:
Tag. You’re it.
Reblog, post your lists in the comments, whatever.